- About Us
- School Programs
About the Friends of Five Rivers
Friends of Five Rivers (FFR) is a citizens' support group whose main goal is to support environmental education at the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center in Delmar, New York. Five Rivers Center is owned and operated by the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
From the friendly greeter at the desk, to the instructor for your child's class visit at Five Rivers, to the busy weeder in the wildlife garden -- they're all part of Friends of Five Rivers. FFR members provide both people-power and funds to support and enhance Five Rivers' programs.
FFR was incorporated as Five Rivers Limited in 1972 when the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation converted the Delmar Game Farm into Five Rivers Environmental Education Center.
Some of our activities:
- Funding and teaching guided outdoor lessons for over 15,000 school children each year
- Designing, developing, funding, and constructing of Nature's Accessible Backyard - a trail that allows visitors with limited mobility to enjoy nature
- Planting and maintaining the Wildlife Garden
- Facilitating the purchase of land adjoining the Center for subsequent resale to the State of New York in order to provide protection of the wildlife habitat of the area
- Funding internships at the Center for training nature educators
- Staffing and administering the greeter program and assisting at public programs
- Supporting the annual Fall Festival
- Funding the annual Wendy Suozzo Memorial Award, a scholarship for Bethlehem Central High School seniors
- Sponsoring a Birdseed Sale each fall to raise funds for Center programs.