- About Us
- School Programs
Wendy Suozzo Memorial Award 2017: Applications Due 3/31/2017
The Wendy Suozzo Memorial Award was established by the Friends of Five Rivers in 2009 and is granted to a graduating senior student or students at Bethlehem Central High School.
About Wendy Suozzo
Wendy Repass Suozzo was a lifelong educator with a deep and heartfelt passion for nature. She was known for her compassionate spirit, cheerful attitude and the positive impact she had on all those whom she touched. Wendy spent her entire life sharing lessons in inspiration and aspiration.
Wendy’s love of nature led her to a long and productive career as an environmental educator at Cape Cod (MA) National Seashore, Sharon (CT) Audubon Center, Capital Region (NY) BOCES, and the Five Rivers Environmental Education Center. Most recently, as a program coordinator for the Friends of Five Rivers, Wendy was able to teach students about all the wonderful mysteries of the environment. She devoted tremendous energy to the Five Rivers’ educational programs, successfully sharing her love of nature with both children and adults alike. Wendy’s dedication and respect for the natural world serves as a worthy model for all of us.
About the Award
The Wendy Repass Suozzo Memorial Award will amount to $2000 and will be distributed to the selected Bethlehem Central High School graduating senior once proof of registration to a college for the upcoming fall college semester is provided to Friends of Five Rivers.
The Memorial Award will be granted to a graduating senior at Bethlehem Central High School with the following qualifications:
- Intended field of college studies (preference given to Environmental Education, Environmental Studies; appropriate fields include Biology, Chemistry, Geology, Environmental Law)
- Contacts with Five Rivers Environmental Education Center
- Involvement with other environmental centers and organizations (e.g. Pine Hollow Arboretum, Pine Bush Discovery Center, Thatcher Park Nature Center, Mohawk Hudson Land Conservancy)
- Involvement in environmental activities (e.g. BCHS Environmental Club, environmental-related scouting projects)
- Previous and/or on-going volunteer activities relative to environmental education, environmental issues, or conservation
- Demonstrated GENUINE interest in environmental protection and conservation.
Applicants should download and read the Information Sheet and download/complete the Application for the Wendy Repass Suozzo Memorial Award Sponsored by the Friends of Five Rivers and submit/mail their application, along with 1) a letter of recommendation, 2) a current resume, and 3) the written response, to the following address:
Friends of Five Rivers
Attn: Joanne Macklin/Memorial Award Committee
56 Game Farm Road
Delmar, New York 12054
All applications and attachments must be received by March 31st, 2017, no later than 4pm.
Applications that are not complete will not be eligible for review. If you have any questions, please call Joanne Macklin at 475-0295 or e-mail her at email@example.com.
The announcement of the Award recipient will be made in late May, 2017.